feelings on a sleeve

because i love, i hurt. because i feel, i write.

Sunday, November 27, 2005

confessions of a not-so-teenage drama queen

20. hmm...I expected more to be honest. I remember being 12 and praying for the day I would turn 20. I would be driving, probably married, be a part time actress, part time piolet , have a house of my own, pay bills, drink tea with my mother who I only would see maybe once a month...basically...all my dreams came to be when I turned 20.

I remember telling God when I was seven that he could kill me so that I could be born again when I turned 20 (that was my understanding of giving my 'life to the Lord'). So I am sure you can understand my frustration, and even, ney I say, disappointment that I have or...am...NON of the things that I wanted...expected...dreamed for. Now I look to 30...but will I feel the same when I get there?

I am not complaining, I am just venting (which somehow mean two totally different things!). I have spent the last year of my life being totally complacent. I have not given two craps about the direction my life is going...now, that should not alarm anyone because in my mind I was doing the 'right thing'. I told God that he could take me wherever he wanted...and I would do whatever he asked. Well, turn out he wanted me to feed the hungery, and learn to love my life as a semi-complete loner. I had my family, and I had God...still do in fact...and I can even say that I felt satisfied...even fufilled. The problem: I was not, and am not living my dream...whatever my 'dream' is.

A funny thing happened; it was like before I had been walking up a huge mountian and all I could see was the rock, snow and ice...and when I turned 20, all of a sudden I could see the top of the peak, and and even some of the landmarks to follow. I realized that God has been with me every step of the way, and He always will be. I have to make the choice to run after what I want, and trust that He loves me enough to follow. As much as God wants to push me...He can't...actually...he won't.

That idea was something that was a little hard for me to take. When I was younger (even up to last month) I always had a picture of me going through life on God's hand...like His hand was some sort of magic carpet. I would go wherever He took me. I would then jump off, do the duty, jump back on...and off we went to the next destination. Recently the picture changed...it was me...with a hand covering over top of me...I was totally protected, but it was me that had to move...and the hand would follow me. Interesting hey. Even scary.

All of that to say...I am 20. I am not doing what I dreamed for myself when I was 12. I am not sure what I want in 5 years, heck, I am not even sure what I want tomorrow. But I am going to allow myself to dream, and not fear that I am somehow going to walk away from what God has for me. I have been learning to love myself...and recently decided that I am finally ready to take care of myself...I am not a toy...I am a precious treasure...that needs some touch up work :)

I am going to be alright kids, I know that I don't really fit in to this secular world we are forced to live in...but I am living in eternity right now...and that suits me just fine!! riiight...it made sense to me.

Peace out home dogs.




ColorQuiz.combethany took the free ColorQuiz.com personality test!

"Her need to feel more causative and to have a wide..."


Click here to read the rest of the results.


9 Comments:

  • At 11:20 a.m., Blogger Annie said…

    hey bethy. thanks for writing everything you did about your journey so far. you know... i think a ton of us feel pretty similar to the way you are feeling, but just aren't sure how to put it into words. i know i've been afraid to even go there, what with disappointment with life and even, i dare to say, with God. it's so interesting that as christians we don't want to admit that we're supposed to make decisions for ourselves and move around in life ourselves... it's easy to convince ourselves we're supposed to rely on God for EVERYTHING, including the hard stuff like decision making. it's all fear, man! God WANTS us to push through life, figuring things out in our own timing, making mistakes. for some reason the church has always taught us that stumbling around and making mistakes is not ok. imagine the pressure! no MISTAKES? oh well... it's people like you who are so honest who allow other people to expand their thoughts and learn about how things really are. thanks for being honest.

    annie-mal

     
  • At 6:46 p.m., Blogger dearbethany said…

    thanks so much annie matheson...that means tonz!
    hopefully i will see you soon

     
  • At 12:09 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    may not mean much but ...
    When I was 10 or so, I wanted to be married with 5 (yeah, FIVE) kids by the time I was 21.
    BWA HAHAHAHAHAH!!!

    And now for a few inspiring words from one of my favourite writers:

    I look behind me and you're there,
    then up ahead and you're there, too--your reassuring presence, coming and going.
    Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth;
    all the stages of my life were spread out before you,
    The days of my life all prepared
    before I'd even lived one day.
    Investigate my life, O God, find out everything about me;
    Cross-examine and test me, get a clear picture of what I'm about;
    See for yourself whether I've done anything wrong-- then guide me on the road to eternal life.

    -Excerpts from Psalm 139 a la Message

     
  • At 1:39 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    THATS GORG Shannon!
    I loves it a lot!
    thanks so much for that.
    hey! Yesterday I did some nasely na's just for old times sake...I thought of you:)
    thanks again.
    B

     
  • At 11:39 p.m., Blogger Ash said…

    Hey gorgeous babe!

    Annie is so right! You are so not alone in what you're going through on your journey. God is soooooo proud of you and where you are right now in your life. I loved that picture of the hand changing from holding you to covering you. I feel totally like that too. When I was younger I always thought I would be married and have my own home at 20 too, now I'm 27 babe, and still taking a day at a time with God and only He knows when our dreams will come to pass. But I do know, that He does want us to have dreams. I'm so proud of you and you truly are so precious! I miss those times we shared in our small group. Love you loads xxx

     
  • At 12:20 a.m., Blogger dearbethany said…

    thanx ash...i got warm fuzzies when i saw your name...i miss you!

     
  • At 12:57 a.m., Blogger dearbethany said…

    thanks chris!!
    the mystery of what that second comment could have said will leave me sleepless for days!!

    miss you bra!
    B

     
  • At 1:07 a.m., Blogger Adele said…

    Ok I feel a bit like a stalker...but I bumbled into your blog via Ash's via someone else's via the Queen's anyway, I forget how but I got here. Anyway I bumped into Shannon and other old friends which was nice, but most importantly I found YOU. Bethany Critch. A great big silly smile crossed my face, I settled down for a good read. And I have enjoyed it immensely.

    I mean, I didn't enjoy you feeling angst...but you express it so well...

    I fear if I say anything about turning 20 it will come out like the patronising rambles of an old fogey...but I can say with Shannon, I like you a lot. You are original and fun and WILL GO FAR.

    Love,
    Adele

     
  • At 7:30 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bethany,
    I can sooooo relate 2 what u were saying there. I'm 42 now K? I'll be turning 43 at the end of next month. What the bonk is up with that? How did I get here? I just don't get it. I remember back when I was 6. I was looking forward to my upcoming birthdy because I would be turning 7. My Dad told me that 7 was special because that was the year I would become my Mother's little helper. hmmmm I wasn't quite sure what that meant. More chores maybe. i wasn't sure. it didn't sound bad though because Daddy said it was good...Jump ahead to May 27 1979. It was a Sunday. I remember that because my birthday fell on Sunday that year and i was like just totally proud to tell all my friends in the youth group that i was now the BIG 1 6. So u better respect me because i'm a big kid now...yeah right. They were like totally unimpressed and were P.O.'d at me because i was bragging. Anywho, by the time i landed at my 20th birthday, i was still in high school because i had failed grade 8. i was walking around school all depressed because i was now 20 and oh so very old. LOL now here i am 42 going on 43 going on 17 by the grace of God. i have no idea what He wants me to do with my life. He closed the only open door that i really liked. now i volunteer in the ARK and worship with Laura and Diago (how do u spell that man's name anyway? :) ), and that's just great. i love both of those volunteer positions, but there must be more there must be more THERE MUST BE MORE...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home