feelings on a sleeve

because i love, i hurt. because i feel, i write.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

the diary of a subway employee

6:00 pm

Oh my goodness, I have had the most crazy exausting day. First I run off to work (lie number 1: I did not run, I drove) at 7:00 in the morning to get a half hour head start on all of the bread making. Rest, peace, refreshment from the heck of a day before WAS NOT THERE. I was a tired mess, so I figured I might be a little slower, hence the leaving early.

All feelings of 'wow i am really on top of this day (as if a person can ever realistically 'be on top of a day')' come to a crashing holt when my lazy tired eyes spy Edna's car.

Edna, the bain of subway, and hence, the bain of my existance. A fiftysomething year old power-tripping employer who HATES her job and everything that has to do with it...like me!

Put a smile on, put a really big smile on, deep breath, and walk in the door.

Small chit chat with the boss, go over list in head of work to do, fix hair net...definatly fix hair net.
Okay, so everytime I have a weekend open with Edna I count the minutes until she decides to go home. No matter what she says I nod my head in agreement. Did I really hear what she was saying? Nope. Nor do I begin to care. I put the meat and veggies out front, heat the meatballs, make the bread, make some coffee, and nod.

Two guys walk in and order some subs. One of them was allergic to onions. He obviously thought he was attractive, and had he not thought that, perhaps he would have been. He asked me to 'please not put any onions on his sub or he might die' then he asked me how I would feel about it. Honesty is the key! I told him 'Meh! I might lose my job, and that would suck.' He was SO taken a back. WHAT? You are female, and you are not biting my flirtatous bait. Wha...What did I do wrong?

Finally 10:00 rolls around, and Tabitha, a happy eighteen year old co-worker, struts her stuff into the back. One sight of Edna turned that smile right upside down. She cringed, I laughed, Edna looked at me and freaked right out of town. TUCK YOUR SHIRT IN TABITHA (Edna does not know my name, and has confused me for Tab ever since I went back. SO yes, she freaked out at me)

Edna leaves, large sigh of relief. Throw out Edna's prep list, and remake.

10:30 rolls around and Gregg walks in. Late as always. Frown as always. Quiet as always. Tab and I are quite the combination when it comes to working with a quiet frowning late person. Sang him some songs, threw some meat, permitted him to smoke...and he was cheery in no time at all. Basically it was busy from eleven till' two. I was on cash, I should NEVER be on cash, but I was on cash. Miraculously, I did a supreme job.

OMG-the party subs. Scramble to make two six foot party subs in middle of crazy line up. Ahhhh, success.

Debbi walks in, dishes are not done, soups are not pulled, bread list is not made, and Gregg and I are standing at the front door talking. I am sure it did not look all that good, but...blah.

Three o'clock, GO HOME, read book, sleeeeeeeep. 9.5 hours tomorrow...sigh.


***Bethany is a wonderful employee, who works very very hard. This little window into a day in the life of her is not to show how bitter she is about the job, it is just a safe way to vent this particular crazy day at work. Customers, and employees alike love Bethany...and you should too!***

7 Comments:

  • At 10:45 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yes, I'm the first to comment.

    Ok how does Tuesday night sound? Are you able to drive down to Bolton for dinner at my place? I spent the day with Rees and Hannah in Hamilton... and you were truly missed.

    You think of a plan if you don't like mine.

     
  • At 10:45 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok... I meant to phone you, except I left your number at work and now I don't have it. So I can't phone you. Do you accept my apologies?

     
  • At 4:46 p.m., Blogger Pencil said…

    Ok Dallas (I mean Boris Stanislavski), what did that have to do with the blog?

    I would like to say that I think Bethanie is an amazing employee and she deserves a raise for putting up with all the crap she gets at work!

    I can relate. I used to work at 2nd Cup and it's not that different. Except mine was in a mall so the hours were the same as the other stores.

    Peace,

    Ben

     
  • At 8:46 p.m., Blogger Beckers said…

    I LOVE YOU!!!!

    You are a great employee...I've seen it first hand folks... i say *****! (that is 5 stars for those of who can't figure it out...or have tired brains like me)
    Ok, Debbi won't REALLY care about the mess...only a little. And I love gregg...but, "oh, gregg..."

    I want to come visit your worky again Hot Topic!!!

     
  • At 2:07 a.m., Blogger Annie said…

    bethannyyyyyyy where did you go?

     
  • At 12:25 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What are we doing this weekend Bethany? if your going downtown i might be able to come along for the trek. I'm not allowed to go to dirty or unsafe areas though. Actually, I don't want to go there.

     
  • At 8:18 p.m., Blogger Sgt Steve said…

    hahaha I like the part about the guy that was full of him self, hahahaah. Funny, I'm hungry now and I think I'm gonna get on of those new tosted chicken ranch subs, sooo good.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home