feelings on a sleeve

because i love, i hurt. because i feel, i write.

Sunday, February 20, 2005

so this is love?

I have been thinking.

My thoughts (some of them) are as follows.

Love...what is it? My mother was recently giving some advice to one of my friends in a serious relationship. She said that love is not a feeling. That was easy to take at first. Yeah, love is not a feeling. If it were just an emotion, like happy, sad, angry, or bored...that would mean that it changes with the wind. We all know (at least I hope we do) that love is not something that comes and goes. But then, why do so many marriages break up because they fell out of 'love'? Emotions are so simple, and SOOOO complicated at the same time. One look or one word from anyone can change our mood instantly. I refuse to believe that love is like that.

So if love is not a feeling, then it must be a thing. I once heard that love is a choice. For some reason that does not sit with me right either. That kind of brings it back to the feeling category. We can choose to be bored, or angry...even happy or sad. We can make choices that change the way we feel. So...we choose our emotions? Hmmmm. To a degree I suppose.

This did not satisfy my intrigue. My favourite quote is as follows:

"Love is not love which alters when alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove. Oh no! It is an ever fixed mark which looks on tempests and is never shaken."

In common english it says that love does not change when you want it to. It can never be taken away. Love sticks through the strongest storms, and does not even begin to think about moving.

So, if Willy is right, then love must be more than a choice. It must be more than...I don't even know. All I do know is that God is Love. Until someone REALLY knows God, they do not REALLY know love. So then, do non-christians love? Sigh...it is so complicated in my brain.

The good news is that I do not have to define it. I just have to feel it, to live it. A good friend reminded me of the verse 'no greater love is there than this, that a man lay his life down for a friend'. I 'feel' like I want to do this. I may 'choose' to put it to action. But does it mean anything if there is nothing behind it? I think that being self sacraficial has to come naturally. It has to be a part of us. It is like an attitude, or a lifestyle, or something more than nothing.

I am losing myself in deep thought that I just can't put into words. Please let me know what you think of the overflow of brainage.

Oh yeah, I am still a little sick, but feeling better. I am really missing friends...but that is nothing new. I am beginning to see that God is not silent. Don't unplug your ears to hear the answers to your simple questions.

Thats all for me. bye

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home